- Connect to Adaptive.
- From the Planning pane, select the sheet from the dropdown. The grid will be empty until you do.
- Search for or select a version and level.
- As a best practice, before you enter new data, click Refresh to sync the sheet in Excel with any changes (numeric and structural) that were saved to the Adaptive server by other users.
- You can choose to work offline at this point or stay connected. If you go offline, make sure you have access to the correct data before you log out.
Enter data into the sheet. Editing an Adaptive Planning sheet follows many of the same rules as working directly from the Adaptive UI.
Click Submit to save changes to the Adaptive server.
Note: If you have pending changes, submit first before refreshing to avoid losing your pending changes.
Work with More than One Sheet
To load more than one sheet's data into Excel:
- Add a new Excel sheet tab to you workbook and select a different Adaptive sheet from the Planning pane so that you get several Adaptive sheets in your Excel workbook.
- Open a new Excel workbook and select a different Adaptive sheet.
- Launch another instance of Excel and access additional sheets that way.
Search for Versions, Accounts, and Levels
To find versions and levels in the Planning pane's dropdown, click the dropdown arrow. Start typing the name in the search field at the top of the dropdown menu. The list will filter accordingly and highlight direct matches.
Enter Data in Cell
On the Adaptive Grid
You have several ways of entering data on the Adaptive grid:
- Type in numbers or other values directly into cells.
- Cut and paste or cut and copy data into cells.
- Select values from dropdown options within the grid. If you have dimension attributes on a modeled sheet, you can select the attribute first to filter the related dimension values for easier data entry.
- Use Excel formulas to calculate data within the grid. The formula you use and the cell referenced in the formula will not upload to Adaptive, so add a note if you would like others to know how you calculated the value.
- Add rows for modeled sheets and complete the value for each cell in the new row.
- Add splits and the values entered will roll up (and total) to the original row.
On the Excel Grid
Use familiar Excel functions on the Excel grid:
- Create charts on the Excel grid, using Excel functions. These charts will save to a new worksheet in your workbook. They won't upload to the Adaptive server, but you can save them locally and share them.
- Calculate data on the Excel grid, using Adaptive data. This data won't upload to the Adaptive sever, but you can save it locally and share it. For example, calculate the total of several months.
Unable to Edit Data
If cells are not editable on your sheet, check or verify any or all:
- Level Access: You may have selected a level that you can't access. You can only see or edit data based on the level access assigned to your user ID.
- Standard Sheets with Mixed Account Types: You may be trying to edit a modeled or cube account on a standard sheet. You can only edit General Ledger and custom accounts.
- Standard Sheets with Mixed Time: The General Ledger or custom account may have a smaller time configuration than the sheet. Right-click on the General Ledger or custom account you want to edit and select Adaptive > View by Level. The sheet displays the smaller time periods and the cells will be editable.
- Locked Versions: You may be viewing a version that is either completely locked or locked through a defined period. When a version is locked, the data cannot be altered or edited.
- Workflow: If the Workflow feature is enabled, you may be viewing a level that has already been submitted.
- Actuals Overlay: You may be viewing a version that has been completely replaced with Actuals data.
- Permissions: Check your Adaptive permissions with your admin to confirm that you have access to the sheet and sheet levels:
- You may be an Analysis User, which only allows you to view sheets in a read-only mode.
- You may not have access to the the version or level that you selected.