We have changed our general policy around import history file retention in Adaptive Insights instances. Effective January 7, 2019, import history will have a file storage limit of 10 gigabytes (GB). Instances exceeding the limit will fall into one of two categories:
- If the collective import history files are more than 10 GB, a time limit will be applied to retain the last 35 days of import files.
- If the last 35 days of import files exceed 10 GB, the number of days for the time limit will be reduced to maintain the 10 GB limit.
What is affected by this change?
- The storage limit only applies to import history. It does not set a limit on disk usage for the entire instance.
- Import history records, which include post process files that are a log of data imported at that time.
Deleting these files will not affect the data within your planning accounts.
How do I know if my instance is over the limit?
- Administrators of instances with more than 9 GB of import history were emailed directly.
- Check the disk usage for your instance. Go to Administration > General Setup to see if your instance is under 10 GB. Import history is one of several factors that contribute to the total disk usage for an instance. See Disk Usage for more.
Why are we doing this?
- The need for long-term import history has decreased thanks to integration improvements. Many customers have been using integration functionality to schedule automatic imports directly from a source system rather than only loading data with manual imports. Import history files are not as useful for these instances because data is readily available to re-import from the source system if needed.
- Import history records must be deleted individually which can make manual cleanup tedious resulting in files building up over time. We have even seen some cases where import history became so large that the page stopped loading.
- Reducing the size of import history can decrease the time it takes to complete sandbox refreshes, restores, and server migrations if they are needed because the processing time depends on the overall size of the instance. Customers that have increased the frequency for actuals and transaction imports will also have rapid growth in disk usage for their instance from import history accumulating faster.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any concerns about this policy change or if you have any questions that you would like to discuss further.